Monday, October 7, 2013

State Farm refuses to pay auto shop

The nightmare continues, with State Farm refusing to pay Suddeth Automotive $3,869.59 for the mechanical repairs (see 9/18 post, "Why is State Farm 'totalling' my car?"). Suddeth initially billed State Farm, but is now sending statements - unitemized - to me. Apparently, State Farm thinks they can bully me into submission by threatening me with large bills unless I turn my car over to them or agree to keep it with a "salvage" title.

The moral to this story - at least for me - is to have as little as possible to do with the insurance industry. There are horror stories all over the Internet, and repairs to my car should have been completed four months ago. Instead, it's been partially repaired amidst unnecessary delays, misrepresentation, secret damage estimates, lowball offers, verbal abuse and an assault by one of State Farm's agents, secret repair bills, financial threats, and bad faith efforts to declare total loss.

It takes gall for Suddeth Automotive to bill me instead of State Farm, not to mention the sheer absurdity of presenting a customer with an unitemized statement. I find it more and more puzzling that State Farm is going to such lengths in an effort to take possession of my car.